Friday, February 07, 2014

Fast Forward

I have wanted to design and print textiles for some time and I guess it started in 2006 - until then, I had been a digital artist for most of my professional life.

After living in Singapore for nearly two years, my husband and I decided to move back to South Africa for the birth of our son. We rented a house in Cape Agulhas with the most beautiful view of the ocean. And there, overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, I painted fabric and created a play mat and decorations for our newborn baby!
I had all the time in the world...between feeds and naps...and was inspired by the beautiful surroundings...

Fast forward seven years.

We now live in a leafy suburb outside Melbourne, Australia.
Over time I have acquired silkscreens and various other tools (and skills) with which I adorn textiles.

Time is more scarce now...or maybe it just seems that way. So, the going is s..l..o..w...

As with my paintings and illustrations, my fascination with chairs continues...and they have found their way onto the textiles!!

A new addition to my art themes is the Boab tree from the north western parts of Australia. The inspiration for this came when our family went on a road trip around Australia in 2011. The landscapes in The Kimberley region were breathtaking. Each Boab seemed to have its own distinct personality.
Below are some of the cushions I made using the chair and Boab designs.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment